Dishing on Donuts: Colonial Do-Nut Shop

by Sarah Puleo.

The final stop on my donut tour of the South Shore was Taunton, MA.  Though I don’t routinely drive an hour for donuts, I may start a monthly pilgrimage to Colonial Do-Nut Shop.  If you’re interested in paying homage to the best donuts ever made, the sign up sheet’s at the bottom of this post.

Best donuts ever made.  That’s a pretty lofty claim, right?  Perhaps you think I say this casually, but I assure you I do not.  I’ve consumed more donuts in the last three months than I had in the entire prior decade.  I believe this qualifies me as a bit of a donut expert.

Colonial Do-Nut Shop does everything right.  From the friendly, welcoming waitstaff, to the quaint diner-style shop with a wraparound counter, to the exquisitely fried donuts, Colonial Do-Nut Shop is the best donut shop I’ve found so far on the South Shore.

Colonial Do-Nut Shop -2

My husband and I split four donuts and, after devouring them all, immediately wished we’d ordered a dozen.  My personal favorite was the blueberry cake donut- flecks of purple cloaked in soft cake and doused in plenty of the opaque, omnipresent donut glaze.  The yeast-raised glazed donut was fluffy, but still substantial.  The old-fashioned donut was a true surprise.  It was fried so completely crisp it shattered upon the first bite.  This is not the pale, soft old-fashioned donut you’ve had before- this one requires a hearty appetite and a large coffee.

The donuts are just barely big enough to share.  I suggest ordering at least 1 donut per person with a few spare donuts, just in case you’re feeling greedy.  The coffee at the Colonial Do-Nut Shop is also very good- hot, fresh, and prepared the way you want it.  Of course, they also serve breakfast sandwiches and bagels.  But really, if you’re going all the way to Taunton, please buy a donut.  It would be wrong not to.

Now that this chapter of my donut tale is closing, I want to leave you with just a few final thoughts.

Donuts 101:

• The quickest way to find a worthy donut shop is to try their glazed, yeast-raised donut.  If this is done right, proceed with ordering.
  • The secret ingredient in an old-fashioned donut is grated nutmeg.
  • Never, ever, trust a baked donut.  Eat them freshly fried, or not at all.

Colonial Do-Nut Shop is located on 91 Broadway Taunton, MA.  They’re open from 4 am to 12 pm Monday through Sunday. (Note: schedule change-no longer open on Sundays)

Sarah Puleo is a Texan transplant who blends her Southern home cooking with the flavors of Massachusetts and the Irish-Italian family she married into.  When she’s not cooking or doing dishes, she’s playing trucks with her son or driving around the South Shore with her husband looking for her next great meal.  Read about her adventures atwww.bettycupcakes.com

About eSS&SC

The South Shore and South Coast has been home to hunting, gathering, fishing, farming––and great eating––for over 10,000 years. We are committed to identifying, devouring, and sharing all that Southeastern Massachusetts has to offer today and preserving local options for future generations.
This entry was posted in General Interest. Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Dishing on Donuts: Colonial Do-Nut Shop

1. Anonymous says:

I live in Taunton and go to Colonial five or six times a week while I’m there,winter in Florida. Their best donut is their cinnamon donut. Will be heading back first week in April and will be there morning after we get back. Mike and Bob do not know if you will see these comments but see you soon.

2. Anonymous says:

Colonial Donuts. A Taunton landmark. My late, dear uncle Bob LOVED their jelly sticks. Brought them to him often. Brought 6 down to FL recently to his daughter and she gasped when she saw them.

3. Anonymous says:

Wife and I miss those donuts & coffee . Can’t ( and don’t think we ever will ) find any Donut shoe here in Texas that’ll ever come close !!

4. Anonymous says:

Have you included Ma’s donuts, Acudhnet, Ma in your Pilgrimage?
    They’re the best around. I travel 25 minutes about 2-3 times a year for them. I prefer to keep them special by only having them a couple times a year. One glazed donut is more than enough for one person.

5. Anonymous says:

We have four generations hooked on Colonial Donut Shoppe. Alot of great memories made there

6. Jude Lynch says:

Brings back wonderful memories of my youth! High school mornings with scrumptious donut to rev up the day, and trips there Sunday mornings after Mass as a young married with children who were weaned on Colonial. Ahh, drooling just thinking about those incredible cinnamon rolls!

7. Fred says:

Have you tried Leddy’s Bakery in Fall River (1481 S. Main Street). More than just donuts. Great pastry, and some nice Portuguese food for lunch. Nice Portuguese bread also.

8. Anonymous says:

One word coffee rolls!!!!!

9. Carol says:

Colonial Donut Shoppe, has pleased many taste buds for lots of years. As you said the wait people are super friendly and you could not ask for a cleaner shop. I am so happy Mike and Bob have been acclaimed the best donut shop on the south coast. They deserve every little bit of praise anyone can dish out. Congratulations to the George Familys for bringing this praise to Taunton and surrounding towns, you are the best!!!!!!!!!!

10. Anonymous says:

They’re not open on Sunday

11. Pingback: Dishing on Donuts: Colonial Do-Nut Shop in Taunton, MA | BettyCupcakes.com

Talk to us. Please leave your comments here.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s