by Pam Denholm.
As most of you know, we at South Shore Organics have made it our mission to eliminate as many genetically modified ingredients from our shelves as we can, we label everything and frequently engage our farmers and food artisans to that end. In our version of a perfect food system, GMOs wouldn’t even exist. But we feel that the next best thing for our main stream food system is transparency in the form of labeling.
Bills requiring GMO labeling have passed in Maine, Connecticut, and half of Vermont. The issue is also being seriously considered by every legislature in the Northeast, which will not only create labeling laws for those states, but will also help to enact the laws in both ME and CT—per provisions written into their bills.
Massachusetts is ready to join the fight with our Northeast neighbors, and we need your help.
There is currently a bill in legislative committee that needs to be approved by March 19th. That means that we have less than 2 months to make GMO labeling in Massachusetts a reality, or wait until the 2015-16 legislative cycle to try again. We know that industry lobbyists are doing their best to convince the committee not to approve a labeling bill, so hearing from constituents and lawmakers in large numbers is the only way to ensure that Big Agriculture doesn’t win this time. MA Right to Know GMO gives the following suggestions for ways that you can to help:
- Contact your representative and senator, asking them to take action in support of GMO labeling. Go to the MA Right to Know website listed below, where you’ll find several ways to get in touch with your state legislators.
- Volunteer or help to connect volunteers in one of the key districts to help host educational events, generate media, and bring special attention to the issue.
- Become a Network Partner with MA Right to Know, or get some of your colleagues and peers on the list. The support of businesses, organizations, and professionals makes a big difference!
- Volunteer with MA Right to Know to add your voice to this movement. The 100% volunteer organization is especially looking for help with their media team.
- Donate! This movement is up against some of the wealthiest and most powerful forces in the food industry, and our strategic use of funding can help to magnify our efforts.
“This is a very close fight, and we really have a chance here. Every phone call, email, and action you take will make a difference. Thank you for everything you are doing to support a food system for the people. We will reclaim our right to know what’s in our food.” In solidarity, Martin Dagoberto, Co-founder, MA Right to Know GMO